Stagecoach UK Bus Transportation Case Study
Client: Stagecoach UK Bus
Stagecoach UK Bus is one of the largest bus operators in the UK, operating express, intercity and local bus services in over 100 towns and cities across the UK. With a fleet of some 7,000 buses and coaches, Stagecoach carries two million passengers every day.
Wireless Ticketing Solution
Proactively manage the wireless network, reporting on any network or device issues to troubleshoot issues as they arise.
To reduce the reliance on manual updating, Stagecoach UK Bus introduced wireless ticketing machines which upload ticketing data and download fare changes automatically whenever buses return to the depot, saving time and eliminating human error.
To support the new system, Stagecoach needed reliable and robust infrastructure and used network specialist, MLR Networks, to design and install a Cisco-based wireless network. MLR Networks installed the wireless network across all of the depots, ranging in scope from a single wireless access point to 20 plus, depending on the size of the depot and the coverage required. Additionally, as part of an ongoing support and maintenance contract, MLR Networks provides a network management system which proactively monitors the wireless network, reporting on any network or device issues to take action to troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Business benefits:
- Wireless ticketing has transformed the way Stagecoach operates on several levels
- Automated data capture means up-to-the-minute transaction processing saving the company around 750-man hours a week
- Ticket data is automatically updated every time the bus returns to the depot, so drivers can start their shift wherever the bus is parked saving time and giving
- Stagecoach much more flexibility in scheduling services and planning shifts
- Drivers save time and don’t have the responsibility or inconvenience of carrying around ticket modules